The church of St Mary's was predated
by Ladyewell where Fr Christopher Tuttlell was
appointed priest on February 7th 1699.
The foundation stone for the church was laid on the 30th March
1794 and it was consecrated on the 12th August 1795
by Bishop John Gibson, Vicar Apostolic.
It was built and endowed
by the last parish priest
at Ladyewell, Fr Lund.
After the death of Fr Lund, Fr Blacoe became parish priest and then
Fr. Richard Gillow.
St Mary's church at Fernyhalgh